Friday, October 17, 2008

STEALING DIGNITY (Day 6)

I woke up early this morning and took off down Rangwe Road, which connects Kager to the market community of Rangwe and the main road to Homa Bay. At 6:30 am, there are already kids making their way to school, bicycles with heavy loads travelling to Homa Bay (24 kilometres away) and herdsmen taking their few cattle for water.

As I walked along the rocky and rutty road, an older woman approached me carrying a package on her head. With the early morning sun warming the day, it was a perfect Kodak moment. I pulled her into focus and let go a steady click of pictures as she walked toward me. As she neared me, I dropped my camera and greeted her with “Ruoth Opaki” (Praise the Lord) and extended my hand in friendship. She shared with me her big smile and clasped my hand in friendship. In my brief time in Kenya, I have found the people to be so friendly and always open to sharing fellowship.

I motioned to my camera and gestured as if it was okay for me to take her picture. This kind old lady smiled and I stepped back and took a close up of her, the early morning sun illuminating her smile. I shook her hand and said “Asante” and began to walk away – I had gotten what I wanted.

But as I walked away, this little old lady began speaking to me in her native Luo tongue with much animation and a lot of hand gesturing. I had no idea what she was saying, but I could tell she was telling me something that was very important to her. Fortunately, a man was passing by on a bicycle and he saw the exchange going on. He stopped and share with me what she was saying,

“Please give me some small coin” – she was asking me for a token payment – which is customary in Kenya when you take a picture of someone you don’t know. I searched my pockets and had none. Empty handed, I asked the man to share with her I had nothing to share. She said a couple of more words and turned from me and resumed her journey down the road.

As I turned to go on my way, I was struck with great conviction that I had committed my first sin of the day – I had stolen this old lady’s dignity. I had taken from her the only thing she could give – her time and her smile – and I had given her nothing in return. From a woman who had so little to offer, I had taken the one thing she could offer. And from a man who had blessed with so much, I was unprepared to give her anything back.

It was a terrible feeling and a humbling lesson from the Lord. In my brief encounter with this kind lady, I learned an incredible lesson. Too often, in our exchange of doing mission work, we are insensitive to the native traditions and see things from our perspective only.
As I walked away that morning, I prayed to God to forgive me and to cover my offense in stealing dignity from this lady. I prayed in my remaining days in Kenya, He would show me how to treat the people of Kager with respect and love, and in a way that brings Him honor and glory.

Ruoth Opaki.

Ned

No comments: