Friday, November 28, 2008

THANKSGIVING / GIVING THANKS

This year has been an amazing year: one that I will remember the rest of my life.

Yesterday we went to Melissa's parents and had Thanksgiving lunch with them. We went around the table and each of us shared two things (no repeats!) we are thankful for in 2008. We should have really had every person share 20 or 30, since we have so much to be thankful for in this great country of ours!

So this morning I thought I would share my special Jubilee Village Project Thanksgiving List. Here are some things I am most thankful for related to JVP in 2008:

  • The God of the Universe and all Creation cares about all people -- whether we acknowledge him or not
  • The Holy Spirit binds together the hearts of God's people across great divides -- in the case of JVP these include a continental divide and an economic divide
  • The Son has provided us a restored relationship with the Triune God and an example to live our lives here on earth
  • For my friendship with John Cory who inspired me to get on a plance and go to a village that I had never seen before
  • For the boldness and faithfulness of David Kayando, whose prayers for his village is what started the River flowing that we have now joined
  • For my wife, Melissa, who has encouraged me to follow God's call on my life to help the village of Kager (even while I was unemployed and probably needed to be looking for a job)
  • For our trip to Kager in October, where we made many new friends and the vision for the Project was solidified and confirmed
  • For the Partners (Team Indiana) and Champions (Team Kager) that are stepping up to servant leadership roles on the Project
  • For the book "Rich Christians in the Age of Hunger" by Ron Sider, which planted a seed of "jubilee" in my heart that has taken 15 years to come to the surface in a real and tangible way
  • For my church, East 91st Street Christian Church, which inspires and encourages "ministry entrepreneurs" to dream big and take risks for God
  • For my group of Noble Men and my Pastor Derek, who hold me accountable and encourage me in my daily walk with Jesus
  • For ministries like the Institute for Affordable Transportation, New Life International, Chapin Foundation and Aqua Clara Foundation, all of which have created innovative and appropriate solutions to help end poverty in the world
  • For the Internet, which allows me to communicate to others and learn from others (from people I will likely NEVER meet)
  • For the health and wealth God has provided me, and for the wisdom and understanding to realize I have been given this for God's glory, not mine

As I searched the Scriptures this weekend for what the Bible teaches us about "giving thanks", I thought these Words were especially relevant to the Jubilee Village Project:

  • (2 Corinthians 2:14-16) But thanks be to God, who always leads us in the triumphal procession in Christ and through us spreads everywhere the fragrance of the knowledge of him. For we are to God the aroma of Christ among those who are being saved and those who are perishing. To the one we are the smell of death; to the other, the fragrance of life. And who is equal to such a task?
  • (1 Corinthians 15:57-58) But thanks be to God! He gives us the victory through our Lord Christ Jesus! Therefore, my dear brothers, stand firm. Let nothing move you. Always give yourselves fully to the work of the Lord, because you know that your labor in the Lord is not in vain.
  • (1 Thessalonians 5:16-18) Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus.

Praise be to God!

Ned

1 comment:

The Whitlock Family said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.